The 3 Steps to Take When You Feel That You Have Been Wrongfully Fired

Posted on


Getting fired from a job is devastating for most people. There is a blow to your psyche as it is not a good feeling to be fired. Then there are the financial repercussions as a result. When you’ve been wrongfully terminated, then it is even worse.

All of the pain you feel when getting fired is amplified when you feel that you were fired for no reason or on a flimsy excuse as retaliation for something. Getting compensation for your termination can help get through a tough time. You may also be able to get your job back if you really want to.

Woman fired from job

In this article, we will go over several things that you should do if you feel that you were fired for no reason.

1. Get a lawyer.

When you’ve been wrongly terminated from a job, you do have the legal right to fight it and bring it before a court. However, doing this on your own is likely to be a waste of time and resources. You aren’t likely to win a battle against an employer that has a good legal team.

This type of case requires a good wrongful termination lawyer that knows the law inside and out and has experience with this kind of thing. There are a number of things that will have to be done before you begin the fight and a good lawyer will let you know if they think you have a case, to begin with. They will also be able to help you take the next few steps so you have everything you need to be able to win your case.

2. Collect evidence.

Any case that goes before a court needs to have a lot of conclusive evidence. This can’t be based on the feeling that you believe you were wrongfully fired. There needs to be enough evidence to back up the claim that is irrefutable.

Go through any correspondence you have with anybody at work. Find text messages, logged phone calls, emails, and any other correspondence between you, your manager, coworkers, or anybody else in your company. Messages that contradict what your employer is claiming are very valuable pieces of evidence as is any testimony from a witness to your claim.

3. File a complaint.

Your state has several regulatory agencies that are there for these exact types of scenarios. After consulting with your lawyer you should send a formal complaint to the appropriate agency.

They are there to handle any claims of harassment, sexual or otherwise, any type of discrimination, or, retaliation for something that you may have done at work.

Once the claim is filed, they will start their investigation to determine what rights were violated according to your claim. They will want to verify that what you say has actually happened. If they find that there is a case, they may try to be an intermediary to work something out with your employer.

This is the reason it is a good idea to have a lawyer because if your claim is verified by the agency, you will have several options for moving forward and will need advice on the best one for you.

Read related contents by similar tags: