Whenever there is a requirement for an effective and efficient communication platform in an organization, the IT team looks for a trusted and reliable collaborative platform. Among various available email clients, GroupWise from Novell is a very famous email client.
Like others, Group Wise provides a successful communication within and outside an organization. In addition, it caters the need for calendaring, information management, messaging, etc. Some of the noted features of the application are mentioned below.
- Widely compatible across different platforms including Windows, Linux, and Mac OSX
- Email can be accessed anywhere and at any time with its Webmail client
- Supports synchronization software called Novell Data Synchronizer to synchronize data on various mobile devices like a Smartphone and tablets
- Provides instant messaging features with the integrated Novell Messenger
- Efficient email communication being safe and secure at the same time
- Rich graphical user interface with some enhanced features making the process of email management very easy
- The latest introduced features provide some dynamic options for both users and admin
- It gives a user the will to make decisions as per his/her requirements. Thus, proves to be very flexible
- Flexible with Active Directory and Microsoft Exchange
- Uses the latest data centre technology
The aforementioned features are some of the best features provided by GroupWise. However, there are other email clients providing the similar set of features as well. However, the use of the email client totally depends upon the need of a user. Yet another popular email client has been MS Outlook. It provides the basic features provided by almost all email clients. In addition, it provides a set of advanced features as well. Although the primary features of GroupWise and MS Outlook are same, but they differ in the format used by them to store the data. Novell GroupWise uses NAB file format to store address book, whereas Outlook uses Personal Storage File (PST) to store user mail data. These two file formats are entirely different and hence, are not compatible with each other’s client application. However, MS Outlook is considered to be a better option than Group Wise.
Some of the advantages of having MS Outlook client over GroupWise client are mentioned below.
- GroupWise is comparatively slower than the MS Outlook client.
- MS Outlook provides a better and enhanced interface as compared to GroupWise.
- Outlook for Mac 2011 performs better than the Group Wise client for Mac.
- Outlook provides advanced set of functionalities and easy to use interface as compared to GroupWise
- The number of applications compatible with Group Wise is lesser in number MS Outlook.
- MS Outlook incorporates the features of email, contacts, and calendar in a single package.
- Outlook works in collaboration with MS Exchange, which is very well compatible for hassle free communication.
- MS Outlook being a Microsoft product comes licensed in many Windows based PCs.
- The Outlook Web Access feature is much enhanced as compared to the web client of Group Wise.
- MS Outlook provides better mobility with various mobile devices
- The above-mentioned points are some of the advantages of MS Outlook over Group Wise. Choosing an email client among these is totally a user preference. However, both Outlook and GroupWise can exist together on the same system.
Consider a scenario where you are using GroupWise email client and you wish to migrate your data including your address book into MS Outlook 2013. The GroupWise address book uses a NAB file format, whereas MS Outlook uses PST file format to store data including emails, calendar, notes, tasks, etc. In order to access Group Wise address book in MS Outlook, you need to convert and import address book file format in a new Outlook compatible PST file. To convert a NAB file to a PST file requires a few easy steps. You need to follow the below mentioned steps to export Group Wise to PST.
- Launch Group Wise
- From the toolbar click “Address Book”
- Choose any desired address or the entire address book to be converted
- From the ‘File’ menu click ‘Export’
- Choose ‘Selected Items’ if you have chosen any particular address or select “Entire Address Book” if you have selected the entire address book
- Give a suitable name for the file
- Choose a desired location to save the file
- Click ‘Save’. The file is saved with a NAB extension
- Open MS Excel or any suitable spreadsheet program to convert the NAB file into a CSV file format
- Select ‘Open’ command
- Select the NAB file from ‘All Files’ option
- Click ‘Open’
- Verify the data in the NAB file
- From the ‘Save as Type’ select ‘Save As’ and choose the format as CSV
- Click ‘Save’. This will save the NAB file in CSV file format
- Launch MS Outlook
- From the ‘File’ menu go to Import->Import from Another Program or File
- Click Next
- Choose CSV file format
- Click Next
- Browse to select the CSV file
- Click OK
- Click ‘Next’
- Import the contacts to the Contacts folder in Outlook.
- Click ‘Next’
- Click ‘Finish’
The above-mentioned steps will help you to export address book from GroupWise to Outlook. However, such manual methods are always prone to errors and failure. Instead you should use a professional and reliable GroupWise to PST converter tool like Stellar GroupWise to PST Converter, that enables you to import all user data including address book contacts in NAB file format to PST file format.